Backup Restore from the QLY file

Moderator: Carlson Support

Backup Restore from the QLY file

Postby Mitch » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Hello.
I had a customer yesterday accidently overwrite his Job files in the /Data directory. He copied and pasted over older files from his computer onto the Allegro using Activesync. He, however, never overwrote the Backup file in the job backup directory. My question is can this file be used to restore the data he overwrote? I see nothing in the pdf file about this file or what its use would be. Does it even have a function?
To me a backup file is just that. A failsafe in case of an accident like this. It should be able to restore the data he lost. It wasn't a big issue this time, as was only 15 points or so. But it could be a lot worse in the future. Anyone run into this problem before?
Mitch

Backup folder

Postby dgoodman » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi Mitch,

This is the response from Carlson Tech Support:

The backup folder is useless for Coordinate Data or RW5 raw file data.

The .QLY files in the \Data\Backup folder cannot be used to recover Job
Data like coordinates or raw file information --- it is only used as a
Temp File while SurvCE is running for Map information.

The only thing that contains Coordinate or Angle/Distance info is the CRD
or the RW5. The only other way to recover Job Data would be if you had
exported an Ascii file before deleting the CRD file or exported a DXF in
the Map screen and checked the box to include Points before deleting the
CRD.
dgoodman

Postby Alisha07 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:09 am

Data services backup, but most organizations use third-party service providers specializing in data protection offsite. United States, the laws of data protection is defined by the National Institute of Standards and Technology NIST or U.S. states. Many commercial off-site backup services and data online data service providers new widely used these documents to meet compliance with certain basic standards.

ESXi Backup Software
Alisha07

Re: Backup Restore from the QLY file

Postby alexander » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:15 am

I see that it's been a long time since the original post, but it remains as important today as when originally posted. If the backup folder is useless, what can be done to develop some redundancy in critical data files between when field work is done and when the job is done and archived. The most critical moment is when files are taken from the data collector and put on the office computer. If done incorrectly (mistake made) there will be a loss of data. On a bigger job it could be a disaster. Mass data capture files will undoubtedly be huge, and creating backup copies of same on the DC might be prohibitive, but for those of us that are still working with total stations and gps receivers, the file size is very small compared with the value. An automated backup copy might prove very valuable for some of Carlson's customers.....
Carlson Survey, Carlson SurvCE, Topcon Hiper Pro, Topcon PS-101A robot
alexander

Return to SurvCE General