Coordinate Transfer

Moderator: Carlson Support

Coordinate Transfer

Postby jbrun » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 am

What is the best way to transfer data back forth from SurvCE to Carlson Survey without overwriting points. Is it better to create a fieldbook file? I want to be able to download the points that the crew topo for that day without overwriting the existing crd. file. Is it better to create a duplicate file with a different name and then merge the points in Carlson Survey crd file utilities or is it better to overwrite the raw file and create a fieldbook file. Any ideas are greatly appreciated or if anyone knows of older post like these I would like to see them.

Thank you!
jbrun

Postby ColC » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:49 am

I have created a field directory and a points directory. I download my field data to the field data directory then import the relevant data into my points directory. If I have an ongoing job I do a points compare first to confirm the points I am about to import. I would then use import points in the Coordinate Utilities menu. The process takes only about an extra 5 mins, but it has been a very good quality control process.

I have been using the tds software so I have been downloading into the field directory using windows hyper terminal. The advantage there has been that hyper terminal automatically renames the existing file and the new file remains as downloaded.

I then finish with a field directory as follows
(for a job 8500)

/field
8500.cr5
8500.rw5
85001.cr5
85001.rw5
85002.cr5
85002.rw5

I convert my 8500.cr5 to a temp crd file add.crd then compare with 8500.crd in the points directory. Then import from add.crd to 8500.crd. the points I wish to use.

If you were using SurvCE you could bypass the conversion to add.crd.

This has worked well for me and has provided a history of the field data separate from my working crd file. The extra time it has taken to import data is small compared to the advantage of having a separate record of the field data. I am about to purchase SurvCe so I may find a better method but this has worked for me for over 10 years.
ColC

Postby armstrong » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:22 pm

hello

Thanks for sharing information.

Thanks

www.pathtoodeep.com
armstrong

Return to General Carlson Discussion