Laptop choice for Civil running on intellicad

Moderator: Carlson Support

Laptop choice for Civil running on intellicad

Postby LX255 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:49 am

I am considering an Asus g53sx-a1 to run intellicad with civil. It has the i7 processor. Any input?
LX255

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 pm

I went to their web site and checked out the G53SX. Looks like it should do the job. I would ask for the version with Windows Ultimate though. I have that at home and it has been totally trouble free with all of my software and devices.
BUT, here's my bottom line. I get real nervous when I go look at things on the internet and the prices are not clearly listed. So the bottom line is the bottom line. How much does that puppy cost? How does that price compare against a Dell or a Gateway? Or a Toshiba or any other reputable brand with the same features? Their warranty strikes me as being a little "light".
When you are dropping that kind of money, you really need to shop like your wife does and look for the sales.
Dent Cermak

Postby LX255 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:51 pm

I've been ckecking on what is the better platforms to run with. Mobile workstation or gaming computers seem to be the way to go. Gaming computers typically have a better graphics processor and from what I've read the Asus G series are pretty fast, especially their latest models.

It seems expensive but I don't like upgrading computers. Its a time suck so when I do I like to get the best I can afford.

What are others using as far as laptops go?
LX255

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Dell offers the same graphics cards as many of the gaming machienes. The Nvidia series is awesome. I have yet to be burned by Dell and i am on my 4th computer from them.
One of the guys in the office has a lap top by Alienware that works VERY well.
In the field we use Panasonic Toughbooks CF-19's as data collectors and field cad stations. They work very well too.

Amazon .com carries you computer system.

ASUS G53SW-XA1 Republic of Gamers 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop by Asus
Buy new: $1,199.99

Look up your system on their site and read the customer reviews. You may find something like this:

Before I dealt with Amazon's support, I attempted to do an expedited recall through Asus. Asus support is by far the worst customer service experience I've ever had. They couldn't fathom that I had formatted and performed a clean Win7 install prior to realizing the laptop was affected by the recall. Who wouldn't want their notoriously bad software, right? The CSR talked down to me while possessing the trouble shooting skills of an infant. They couldn't even figure out how to create a case number to begin processing the recall. You'd think that would be something they've dealt with quite frequently as of late.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I recently retired my eight year old Acer laptop. I share your dread of starting the purchase of a new computer. The maze of model numbers and options is daunting. I set out just limiting myself to sticking with the Acer as I had eight good years. Like you, I decided the i7 was probably worthwhile. As it turned out I bought a Toshiba Satelitte P750 as it was on special for under $A1000. I have subsequently checked out the rating of the processor on one of the many comparison web sites and I was satisfied it was a good choice. I have since seen the same unit $600 more than my price(it may have had a 3D option)

I am more than happy with my purchase. However, typically there are teething problems. The Toshiba screen is more rectangular than I was used too. But I am over that now. The windows 7 was generally a positive. However, I have had problem getting Bluetooth to work with my Surveyor+, the new sync is the problem, again too many options. The other problem was the mouse which has too many options and I can't get the pan to work. I just need a bit more time to sort these out. The Toshiba is running at a trot with Carlsons at the moment. I haven't had a large job to really test it out.

Check out the bargains and good luck.
ColC

Postby LX255 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:43 pm

I'm pretty convinced that support is key but also realize that the bad experiences are listed the most in reviews. I am looking at the G53sx which came out a month ago. Amazon isn't carrying it yet. I've had two generations of Dell laptops and have been happy. I currently have the latitude d830 which I have used now for 4 or more years.

My coworker has an hp and it's been nothing but a problem. My four year old computer was stable and reliable while hers couldn't connect to the router, burner didn't work half the time and Carlson would lock her up forcing reboots. It's been miserable. I like a good deal but want to be considerate of not only performance but stability. I'm definitely going to have at least windows professional. Best buy told me that ultimate includes 37 more languages so he said don't bother going beyond windows professional. I haven't looked into this yet.

I'll look at Dell again. The reason Im considering the Asus is merely due to a search for "best laptop for cad" and Asus g series popped up more than once. So I've researched for a few months and thought I'd throw it out to this forum.

One thing is for sure, carlson's support spoils us. They are very helpful and quick to respond. I don't think there is a laptop manufacturer that will compare.
LX255

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

Look at the Dell Precision laptops and the Alienware laptops then. Both are hardy and reliable. I had a Dell Vostro and it was AWFUL!! Vostros are just not built with the quality components of the other Dell Systems. They are cheap but do not last long.
In electronics, you get what you pay for.
A coworker has one of the Alienware laptops and it is really nice. That is one option.
Oh, and the guy at Betst Buy is full of crap. Windows 7 Ultimate offers more than just additional languages. Hell I speak Mississippian and nothing else.I doubt if Ultimate covers that.
It seems to run older software more reliably than the Professsional level. So much more is done for you automatically when you run through your setup. I am no computer expert by any means but Ultimate just took over and asked me "You wanna do this?" I said "yep!!" and it did the rest.
The computers at the office came with Professional and they did not do this for me. Still an easy setup but I like to be pampered by my software and not beat up by options that I do not understand. I'm a 64 year old Mississippi redneck and just do not have the time or gumption to figure any of that mess out. :shock:
Dent Cermak

Return to General Carlson Discussion