Twist Screen/Viewport and Text Orientation

Moderator: Carlson Support

Twist Screen/Viewport and Text Orientation

Postby vtminer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 pm

So here's my problem. I use XREF's. Alot of XREF's. For example, my mapping is mostly concentrated in the mining field. So, my base map might be the workings, ventilation, etc. for XYZ Mining Company. However, I keep certain features that change rarely or never (such as gas and oil wells, planemetrics, surface structures, etc.) as XREF's. And hence, here is my problem.

I have various viewports setup within the main drawing at various scales and orientations. VP #1 may be at 1":100' with North straight "up" on the map and VP #2 may be at 1":500' with the viewport twisted 15 degrees west. My problem now is text. For example, the drawing containing gas wells has text centered around the well location. The rotation of the text is 0 degrees (i.e. the text reads left to right, east to west, in VP #1 above).

My problem is when I go to VP #2. I've got the annotative thing down so that the text is the same height, however, since I've twisted the screen to fit the map, the text is now reading on an azimuth of 75 degrees, not 90 degrees.

I know that I can use the TORIENT command and manually adjust the orientation so that we are back at horizontal relative to the viewport, but I will have to do this each time I change viewports.

Is there anyway that this can be automated? That is to say, that I lock down the text's orientation (i.e. always at left to right on the page) regardless of the orientation of the rest of the map?

Thanks.
vtminer

Postby R Stillwell » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 pm

If you are using annotative text and the two viewports are at different annoscales. Then you could use grips to modify the text to orient the way you want it to in one viewport and remain twisted in the other. Not sure how practical this method would be for you.

There is also an option to have annotative text match the orientation of the layout. It works if you want all your text to be oriented to the bottom of the sheet. Doesn't work so well if you want text to read at any other angle.

There really is no simple way to keep all text plan readable in AutoCAD.
R Stillwell

Postby vtminer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Actually, oriented with the bottom of the layout is the way I'm wanting it. I think this will work. I'll try it and we'll go from there. Thanks.
vtminer

Return to General Carlson Discussion