3D slope analysis

Moderator: Carlson Support

3D slope analysis

Postby surspec » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Is it possible to use Carlson software to generate some kind of 'slope classifications' map?
What we want to do is to form a surface triagulations and from there generate a few classes of slopes, eg 0-10%,11-30%,etc on that surface...Is this possible? If you have done this before, could you please briefly describe the process involve..We are not a Carlson user, we use autocad and some ancient software, perhaps we can use this as an excuse to request for upgrade..Thanks in advance for your input..
surspec

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Greetings from a former AutoCad user that was in the same boat you now find yourself in. My outcome was that I switched 10 seats of AutoCad over to Carlson, saved a boat load of cash and increased productivity astronomically.
Yes, you can do exactly what you need to do in Carlson Survey. Under the Surface tab there is a pull down item entitled "Slope Zone Analysis". That should give you what you need.
Describing the steps here would not give a clear answer to your question. I strongly suggest that you contact the Carlson Rep for your area (you can email Carlson and get that name) or see if your local VAR knows enough about the product to do a demo for you. Believe me , a demo will blow you away.
Also, look on this site for tha Carlson College member closest to you. Perhaps they can help you in your decision.
Having gone through what you are just beginning, let me give you some good advice: when you transition to any new software, do NOT try to do it by yourself. The days of taking "The Book" and teaching yourself the program are long gone. You can get the basics, true enough, but to maximize productivity some training is required. Every dollar that you spend on training will be returned to your company many times over in increased productivity and skills learned.
Dent Cermak

Postby surspec » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:15 am

Thank you for your response..much appreciated. Sounds like very much of what we needed. I wonder if Calson has some sort of 'white paper' on this or perhaps pdf manual that I can copy and print as an altenative option on how to do 3D slope analysis..As it is, my instruction was to use this old image processing software that has been sitting around unused for the last 6-7 years which noone in the office remember how to use anymore :-(

Thanks again..
surspec

Postby Dent Cermak » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:28 pm

You can download the users manuals for Carlson software from this site. Go to the Carlson Survey with embeded AutoCad manual and print out the appropriate chapter.
I'm sure that if you email Carlson they can put something together for you. You local VAR should be more than willing to provide this info too. If he can demo it, he can sell it.
Dent Cermak

Return to General Carlson Discussion