CAN'T COPY DATABASE FILES TO BRIEFCASE FOR BACKUP

Moderator: Carlson Support

CAN'T COPY DATABASE FILES TO BRIEFCASE FOR BACKUP

Postby tstrickland » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi.
I have been unable lately to update, or now even copy, microsoft database files from my desktop computer to the briefcase on my laptop computer. I started getting this error around the first of the week:

Briefcase can't open the database "\\*\*.mdb"
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file "\\*\*.mdb." It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

I've done everything that I could think of. I've set the directory as shared. I've deleted the directory in my briefcase and copied it again from the desktop. I think it is a setting that has gone screwey in Access. I get this message for database files that I haven't even opened in years. I don't know what is going on.

Anybody know what the fix is?
thanks,
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby tstrickland » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I got some help from the beerleg board, but not much regarding briefcase. It's pretty much washed out. Microsoft isn't supporting it anymore.

I did get a link from Dallas Morlan to a neat program, Synctoy 2.1, that looks like it will work better than briefcase.
fyi: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=15155
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Postby tstrickland » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Followup:
SyncToy is WAY ahead of briefcase. More options with none of the glitches previously encountered with briefcase.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Return to General Carlson Discussion