Point File Utilties

Moderator: Carlson Support

Point File Utilties

Postby Rich-Fishkill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi to All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a former LDD Tech and now learning Carlson. Under the Coordinate File Utilies, (Draw by Point ID) I tried to connect points with lines by point number.
When asked to insert point range, I type the point numbers associated with the Lines, But then it didn't draw the lines...I tried to research under help but has
a complex code you have to use.
Does anybody know a easier way of doing this.
Thanks
Rich
Rich-Fishkill

Re: Point File Utilties

Postby NateB » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:44 am

Interesting, I've never used that command but tried it after I saw your post. Did not draw anything for me either. Even if it did, I think this command would be cumbersome compared to just using the 2DP, 3DP or arc commands, if your goal is to draw linework by entering point numbers. For 2D work, you can do most anything with 2DP command, which has options to switch between tangents and Arc segments on the fly, accepts point number ranges in the standard format, and many other in-command options, and you can enter numbers or use snap points on screen. This CFU command does not have this versatility. For breaklines, the 3DP command has almost as many options as well as elevation options.

As for the complex code, I have to agree that the format that command wants is at variance with almost all other commands that accept a point range. Almost all other commands respond to numbers separated by commas, and Hyphen to include all numbers: 1,4,5-7,11 calls for 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 as would be expected. Incidently, the range option also works backwards when drawing polylines: 6-1 will draw the line from 6 to 5... etc to 1. Useful if you are trying to connect linework and find yourself starting at the high end...

Hope that helps a bit,
Nate
NateB

Return to General Carlson Discussion