dos printer Drivers

Moderator: Carlson Support

dos printer Drivers

Postby Derek B. » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:32 pm

I need to know where to get a driver to run my printer/plotter in the dos program, I have tried all of the drivers there and still cannot get a plot to it. I am trying to use a Hp deskjet 722C. My partner is still a dos hardcore man, and doesnt want to upgrade. i had a support agreement a year or so ago,(when c&g was Useless for support holders), and still never got an update for the dos product. I have not upgraded it since 1995, Please help.....
Derek B.

Re: dos printer Drivers

Postby Larry Phipps » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:45 pm

Derek,

I feel your pain man. This is exactly why you will ultimately be forced into upgrading to Intellicad or Autocad or some other product. Printer makers are making new models every day. But, they are not writing drivers for any of them. WHY? Is this a plot to drive you and me crazy? The answer is No. Windows handles the communications between programs and the printers, plotters, digitizers, scanners and all other external devices. So, those old Dos programs are soon going to be like dinosaurs. This is no fault of the folks at C. & G. it is just the way things are in the current computer world.

Now, what should you do. First, I recommend you go to a class on getting started using C. & G. for Intellicad. A good place to find one is at www.landsurveys.com

Now, before anyone objects, I will tell you that I will be teaching that class, so I do have something to gain personally if you do take the class. But, trust me, you and the hardcore Dos man will eventually be forced to change by the evolution of computer hardware and software.

One last word of caution for you. If you have not upgraded since 1995, you may not want to use the Solar observation module any longer. Unless I am mistaken, the ephemiris you have there is NOT Y2K compliant and will give you the WRONG answer.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Larry Phipps
Gruntin', groanin' land surveyor just like you
Larry Phipps

Return to C&G