Survey 2008 + GeoDat 500 + Serial-to-USB Adapter

Moderator: Carlson Support

Survey 2008 + GeoDat 500 + Serial-to-USB Adapter

Postby Wendell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:34 pm

I recently obtained a Geodimeter 444 with a GeoDat 500. I want to download the data from the GeoDat with Carlson 2008, using a serial-to-USB adapter cable. I downloaded the adapter cable driver and it seems to work just fine (it shows up in Device Manager with no errors or conflicts). Note that the adapter emulates the COM6 port.

I am happy to report that the Carlson 2008 Help files indicate compatibility with the GeoDat 500. However, when attempting to download, I get errors. Here is the procedure I followed:
1. Plug the GeoDat into the power plug and into the serial adapter.
2. Start Carlson 2008.
3. Click Survey | Data Collectors | Geodimeter...
4. Click Download (Receive Geodimeter File)
I get the following screen:

As you can see, I get an error that Carlson cannot write the download.geo file. In addition, if you look at the data collection window behind the error window, you'll see that it is asking me to "run Program 54". Program 54 is the file transfer utility, yes, but that is on the Geodimeter instrument, not the GeoDat. The GeoDat itself does not have a keyboard or a way to run any kind of programs. It only has the connection port, a fuse (which is good) and an on/off switch (which is turned on for this exercise).

So even if I got past the write error with the download.geo file, you can see that I will have a problem running Program 54.

When I click on the OK button for the error window, I am returned to this window:

As you can see there, it immediately times out.

Further, I have consulted the Carlson 2008 built-in help and it specifically says that the instructions provided therein are for the GeoDat. I find this impossible since I am not able to run commands on the GeoDat. These instructions may work fine for the Geodimeter instrument itself, but not for the GeoDat.

All that said, can anyone give me some tips on how to get this working?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Wendell

Postby Wendell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:45 pm

I also should have mentioned that I am running Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 and all available updates.
Wendell

Postby Jason » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:13 pm

does the c:/carlson projects folder exist?
Carlson Tech Support
606-564-5028
Support@carlsonsw.com
Jason
Site Admin

Postby Wendell » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Yes, the C:/Carlson Projects folder exists and it contains the files download.geo and Drawing1.crd.
Wendell

Geodimeter Data Transfer

Postby Artanian » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:24 pm

Based on what the help file instructs you to do it doesn't appear this routine was built to work with a "Black box" that doesn't have a keyboard and screen. There would be no method of "selecting a file" or even starting a "Data Transfer" routine if your GeoDat is just a box with no display or keypad.

I would recommend trying this routine with the Geodimeter itself first to try and send or receive files directly to the geodimeter using the steps in the Help Files.

If it doesn't work sending or receiving directly to the Geodimeter you should email support@carlsonsw.com and explain the issue.

***Quote from the Help Files:
"From the Geodimeter data collector, go to the file transfer routine by pressing the PRG (Program) key and entering program 54. Then choose Imem (option 1) as the source. Next choose the file type to send as either Job (measurement data) or Area (point data). The Geodimeter will then prompt for the job name. Next enter Serial (option 3) as the destination"
Artanian

Return to Survey