Importing TEXT/ASCII and drawing the points?

Moderator: Carlson Support

Importing TEXT/ASCII and drawing the points?

Postby apex_predetor » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 pm

I am having a heck of a time importing points onto an existing .dwg?

Is there a tutorial on how to do this?? Or can anybody give me a bulleted list of what to do?

I import the points from a .csv file.
Then I try and Draw-locate points but it draws in another dwg than the one I want?

I think that I am a bit confused about the .crd files and where it gets assigned to?

tHanks for the help.
apex_predetor

Postby ColC » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:57 am

I presume you are using Point/Import Text/ascii file.
Make sure the correct crd file is being used. It should appear on the top bar of the screen.
Go to point/select Coordinate File if you need to change the crd file or create a new one.
The import points screen is pretty well self explanatory. If you are using a user defined file (which you will be, if it is a csv file) make sure you have the correct format selected. There are lots of default options and you can create your own. It is a very handy option for importing all manner of file types. Once you have completed the import points, select list points to see if the points have come in correctly.
You should be able to use Draw locate Points or Field to finish to then plot them on the screen.

I don't know how you were getting them to plot in another drawing. Perhaps you had another drawing open at the time. I always close the default Drawing1 as it is usually siting in the background. Select Window to see if another drawing is open.

I hope that is some help. There is a lot of good information you can obtain from the web page from the movies and the knowledge base.
ColC

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 pm

tutorial 2-making a plat- step 4 is importing an ASCII with detailed instructions.
Carlson Tech Support
606-564-5028
Support@carlsonsw.com
Jason
Site Admin

Return to Survey