Compare Points

Moderator: Carlson Support

Compare Points

Postby ColC » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:47 am

Is there simple way of comparing a set of points with another set where the point numbers are not the same? I would like to set up list of points which I could compare against another list of point. I don't want to match by point numbers, but a sequential list or a link. I am constantly comparing one set against another set and I have yet to find a simple method in Carlsons.
ColC

Postby Andrew Mckenna » Tue May 12, 2009 5:03 am

In case you have not got it sorted yet the following works for me.

Copy the points into 1 crd file with differing pnt number ranges to differentiate design from survey

Menu - Survey/Cut Sheet apply settings as required, hit ok

Select Current coordinate file, Output Option DeltaX-DeltaY, OK

Then Select the Match By tolerance option bottom right.

Set your tolerance match, Survey pnt no range, Design pnt no range, OK

Works well for me, good luck

[/list]
Andrew Mckenna

Postby ColC » Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks for your reply, but sounds a little long winded for what I want. I wish to make a comparisons of one set of points to another set of points. The points would be paired and usually in the same crd file, however the option of a different file could be useful.

I would like run a comparison between those points under different scenarios. I might rotate/ shift/scale some or all those points and re-run the comparison. I was thinking of a simple spread sheet arrangement, maybe using something like the= sign in SurNet.
ColC

Re: Compare Points

Postby alexander » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 pm

In Carlson Survey, use the Points pull-down menu, then Point Utilities, and then Compare Points. This will do what you are looking to do.
Carlson Survey, Carlson SurvCE, Topcon Hiper Pro, Topcon PS-101A robot
alexander

Postby ColC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:30 am

That only works when you are comparing points with the same number. My post was several years old now and I have solved my problem.
I use the raw data editor. I construct comparisons of connections between points and then update raw data from coordinates as required. This very handy to test various scenarios.

Thanks for your interest
ColC

Postby alexander » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:13 am

There is a software program that I think will do what you want to do. It is called Transform for Windows and is available from Primacode. It uses least squares to make the comparison. It'll cost you around $500, last I checked, but if you're in the habit of comparing one set of points to another, I know of no other program that does it as well as Transform.

For example, you could take a plan on record, and "mathematize" the plan, and create calculated points at each of the corners (one set of points) and then you could run a field survey of the property, which will generate the other set of points that you want to compare to the record. Or, you could compare two field survey data sets, etc.

Sounds like you got it sorted out in any case.

Best,
Al
Carlson Survey, Carlson SurvCE, Topcon Hiper Pro, Topcon PS-101A robot
alexander

Return to Survey