Control Codes in Carlson

Moderator: Carlson Support

Control Codes in Carlson

Postby Sasha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Hello,

We are currently looking at changing software from our out of date sdr map.

We currently use alphanum coding like kb,kb1,eos,rhge etc along with control codes such as "st" to start a straight line and "stcv" to start a curved line. These control codes can be used code specific, as in using an st on a kerb (kb st) line wouldnt break an exisitng bank line (bb st,bb,bb etc)

so
bb st
bb,
kb st,
bb,
kb would still produce continuous lines. We recently looked at software that couldnt do this and relied on making a new string number instead of the "st" in order not to break the existing "bb" line.

Could you tell me a bit about the way coding works within Carlson also

Many thanks in advance
Sasha

Postby tstrickland » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 pm

It is very flexible in Carlson.
You can use the same scheme that you are currently using, just set up the field to finish like you are used to.
The default is +7 to start a line, and -7 to end it, but you can re-define it. I use line numbers, ep1, ep2, etc, for separate lines, and 3d polylines for breaklines. The layer is defined by the point code.
You can get a 30 day demo and try it out.
Terry Strickland
tstrickland

Hi thanks

Postby Sasha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:23 pm

for the reply. Im UK and Im not sure how much support there is over here really. Ive got the 30 trial of 2007 with me but ive found it difficult at the moment.

I had a run through with the support of different software today and it was ok...pretty user freindly but the coding wasnt quite what I had hoped for as in we will need to have a change around.
Sasha

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 pm

In Carlson you can set the codes to anything that you want. no need to chance anything that you have now. The +7 and -7 are pretty much standard, but that can be changed to anything that you want.
The power is in the Field To Finish setup of the FLD file that you create. That same file can be transfered to your data collector so everybody is set the same.
You can edit the FLD file easily and you can do wonders with all of the tools in that thing. You can have it add text labels to your trees, add descriptons to storm drain pipes and label the inverts of the pipe..............ALL when you use Field To Finish. ZIP!! All of your linework, all of your symbols inserted in less than 5 minutes (on a BIG job-much faster than that on a normal sized project.)
European support is indeed prpbably very weak. But then that's what the internet is for. On this site, look at the carlson College members. Go to the website for Carlson Desktop Solutions in Texas and read the stuff he has available for download. Many of your questions will be answered.
Dent Cermak

Thanks

Postby Sasha » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Ive got the demo of 2007 installed now and am looking at it now. Ive got some of the help movies downloaded so Ill be having a look at them

I had a good run through of n4ce with the support of one of our jobs. I sent them our raw data and he was helping me get it through to try and process the job and get it to look like one of our exisitng surveys. It was good really...not perfect but pretty good.

Its a hard choice all this changing software and when your looking at it from scratch they can all seem so different.

LSS i have to say was probably what delayed us changing as that software was so different from sdr.
Sasha

Postby Nava Ran » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 am

http://www.screencast.com/t/UKnKwbaFnei
F2F in Carlson Software is very flexible and powerful
Once fld file is configured you will get what you want, you can measure 3D, draw 3D and show 3D.
Nava Ran

f2f

Postby mpias » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:33 pm

I am in total agreement regarding f2f in Carlson. As a personal preference, I like to use the CAICE method and have experienced great results for years.

I work with people who use Land Desktop and can duplicate anything they do without any visual differences. I even believe I'm much more efficient than the LDD users. I have versatility with f2f that LDD users cannot easily match.

f2f is a technological chameleon
mpias

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:26 pm

There are so many things that I can do in F2F that I was not able to do in LDD. I LOVED LDD, but it would not insert the points and label my top and invert elevations on my manholes. It would not label the pipe size and inverts on my culverts. I could not run 2 totally different figure prefix libraries and descriptor key set ups. (I have to have a set up for corps work using their symbols and linetypes and my descriptors along with my "in house" set up. Never could do that in LDD.)
Now, I bring in my CRD file and all my line work is done, all of my utilities are labeled, my finished floor elevations are labeled and my control points come in with coordinates and descriptions.
True, my last set up was in LDD 2008 and they may have added a bunch of stuff since then, but I am not going to look back. I have a package that works for a lot less dollars. I call that "A Winner".
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey