snap to node with pick box over attributes

Moderator: Carlson Support

snap to node with pick box over attributes

Postby LSMKL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Can anyone help me figure out how I can snap to a node by placing the pick box over the description/elevation/number attributes, [b]without placing the pick box directly over the node itself? When I have multiple points in one spot it is nearly impossible to differentiate between the nodes without spending a great deal of time. If the attributes for each point are separated first, there should be a way to associate the description/elevation attributes with the actual node, but I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks.
Time flies when you're fightin' your computer!
LSMKL

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Under the Settings pulldown
go to Carlson Configure
Then select Survey settings
Then select General Settings
Click on the "Automatic Point Object Snap On" box

That should do it for you.
Slim

Postby LSMKL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Slim:
Thanks for the reply.
I'm running Carlson 2010. When I go through the routine you suggested, Settings>Carlson Configure>Survey Settings...I don't have an option for "General Settings" or "Automatic point object snap on".
I have the option for "General Settings" under Carlson Configure, but once again...no option for "Automatic point object snap on".
What version are you running?
Any other ideas?
Thanks.
LSMKL

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 pm

For the next couple of weeks 2008 then I go to 2010 and like you I get to start over. :?
Slim

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm

In the Carlson 2010 Manual a pdf you can get here on the site, there is only one mention of "Automatic Point Object Snap On".

It's on page 203 and I quote:

Automatic Point Object Snap On is equivalent to toggling on the Settings->Point Object Snap On/Off automatically when the drawing is opened.

And that is under Survey Settings.

Other than that, I'm not sure until I can play with the updated software myself.
Slim

Postby LSMKL » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Slim-
Thanks for the help.
In General Settings>I found a "Group Point Entities" check box. This did the trick for linking the attributes to the node and enables me to do what I wanted to do. Now, however; I'm not able to select the point number/elevation/description attributes and drag them off to the side without using the "grips" otherwise I move the symbol along with them?

I think the lesser of two evils is being able to link the attributes.

I've played with Fld2fin trying to separate the attributes, but the "Group Point Entities" seems to override that idea.
LSMKL

Postby Slim » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:56 pm

You might also try typing in "POINTSNAP" at the command line, less the quotes of course. It toggles Object Point Snap On/Off.

It can also be used as a transparent command by entering it in with an apostrophe like so: 'POINTSNAP

Hope that helps.
Slim

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Type OPTIONS on the command line. Select the DRAFTING tab. Top-left corner of the box should be your AUTO SNAP SETTINGS. Make sure that your box for MARKER is checked. I also check the MAGNET box.
I think that will make things go the way you want them to go.
Dent Cermak

Postby gskelhorn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Hmmm... I could be off base as I am pretty new to Carlson software but it sounds like you are using Carlson in Intellicad.

This does not support point object snapping so as far as I am able to get things working you have to enter the point number or use the CAD node snap to pick to the point entity itself.

There is not much in the way of intelligence with points and links in Intellicad at this point (as far as I am aware). Hopefully this situation will be improved with the 2011 release?
gskelhorn

Postby gskelhorn » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 pm

LSMKL wrote:In General Settings>I found a "Group Point Entities" check box.

This is also how I have been working. Then I use MOVEPNT command to move individual attributes around (or the grips as you mentioned). This command is found in the menus as Points | Move Point Attributes - Single

I use the F2F separate attributes to set them up on different layers so it is easier to setup a lisp to toggle descriptions and / or elevations on ad off for multiple points groups.

It may be over the top but for using field evidence as an example, I have

PT_EV as the distinc point layer
PT_EV_NO as the point number layer
PT_EV_ELEV as the elevation attribute layer
PT_EV_DESC for the description attribute layer and finally
PT_EV_MARK for the symbol layer

then I can choose to turn off all evidence points and attributes using:
-la
f
PT_EV_*

or hide elevations from all points using

-la
f
PT_*_ELEV

I am still experimenting with F2F to finger out just how to get maximum benefit from it.

I'm rambling off topic here aren't I :oops:

Greg
gskelhorn

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:30 pm

gskelhorn wrote:Hmmm... I could be off base as I am pretty new to Carlson software but it sounds like you are using Carlson in Intellicad.

This does not support point object snapping so as far as I am able to get things working you have to enter the point number or use the CAD node snap to pick to the point entity itself.

There is not much in the way of intelligence with points and links in Intellicad at this point (as far as I am aware). Hopefully this situation will be improved with the 2011 release?

My bad!! I "assumed" that because this was posted under "Carlson Standalone with Built In AutoCad Engine" that he was using the AutoCad version. Well, you know what they say about "assuming". :shock:
Dent Cermak

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47 pm

In Carlson 2010, go to "Settings", then way down the pulldown to "Point Object Snap On/Off". Make sure it is set to "ON".
Dent Cermak

Re: snap to node with pick box over attributes

Postby StephenJohnson » Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 pm

I am trying to find a way to toggle this on as default when I open a drawing. :evil:

Is this option possible? :?:

SJ
StephenJohnson

Return to Survey