Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhh!

Moderator: Carlson Support

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrggghhh!

Postby Clint S » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:36 am

Admittedly I'm a newbie to Carlson Survey but why is something that should be soooo easy be so impossible to find or figure out.
I just want to connect some points by code to form breaklines something I can do in seconds in my old modeling package.
I don't want to fool around with field to finish tables I just want to be able to pick my codes on the fly and by the job and string them together with a 3d polyline.
Why can I not find this. Oh wait I did in CG survey\draw except they are individual 2d lines.
Why is it any harder than select code/join/nearest or number???????????

I must be missing something obvious here I just can't find it or figure it out.
Clint S

Postby Nava Ran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 am

Draw>Polyline by Nearest Found
This command draws a polyline by connecting points using a nearest found method. The points to connect can be specified either by entering point numbers or picking POINT entities on the screen.
Nava Ran

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Or you could create a point group for each code, then bring in those points and draw node to node using the "Add a breakline" option under the surface editor.
The best way would be to set these codes up as hard breaklines under Field 2 Finish, but I have read your disdain for F2F in your other post, so I know this is not an option.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Clint, I thoroughly recommend you spend some time with F2F. It is by far the most powerful component of the survey package.
ColC

Postby Clint S » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:11 pm

Clint, I thoroughly recommend you spend some time with F2F. It is by far the most powerful component of the survey package.

Probably, but therin lies the problem. Due to it's power it lacks simplicity.

I've switched over to Carlson from EMXS and need to get some things out the door. I know code tables are great from EMXS and I will work some up but right now I need to be able to create breaklines quickly and easily.

Maybe I'm out to lunch but wouldn't a utility that draws 3d polyliness by code exactly like the C-G Survey utility that draws lines by code be a really really useful tool.
Who cares if you have a code table or f2f table for a particular job.
There's a string of points with common code, select,join there's your breakline.
It was the cornerstone of my old modelling software and I could have a stockpile survey drawn & calc'ed in under 5 mins.
I'm spending hrs trying to isolate codes, create tables, find menu settings and all I need to be able to do is have a quick and dirty way to create a 3d polyline connected to points of common code.

What frustrates me is that the utility exists for 2d line segments which are of little use yet it doesn't exist for continuous 3d polys which are of critical importance in any modelling software.
Clint S

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:49 pm

"Probably, but therin lies the problem. Due to it's power it lacks simplicity. "

Clint, if a 63 year old Mississippi redneck can figure it out, it HAS to be simple!! :shock:
Your problem is that you are in a big hurry and lack training on the software. The folks you bought the software from should be able to show you how to do F2F and they should be willing to help you do it. If not, you bought the software from the wrong people. NEVER buy anything from anyone that cannot service what they sell. :x
If you are anywhere near Jackson, Mississippi, I would be glad to help you configure your software and get everything all set up. No charge.
If you are using Carlson Survey 2010, your beloved GS-Survey is built in. I think it's the 3rd pull down from the right. I just scanned the pulldown and the function you want is there.
But get on that F2F setup. Once you see how it works it is indeed SIMPLE. It just takes someone to shoiw you a few tricks. If your retailer cannot do it, it is time to switch where you buy your software from. I STRONGLY recommend buying the software from one of the Carlson College members listed on this web site. They know how to use the products. (I can but the software from a LARGE dealer in Alabama. Only problem is all they know how to do is sell the stuff. And then they are nor real sharp on which package I need or what any of them really do.)
Dent Cermak

Postby Clint S » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Carlson 2011 survey embedded.

Your problem is that you are in a big hurry

No kidding!

I don't see a GS-Survey only C-G Survey but if you can direct me to this utility I so desperately need I would forever be in your debt. :)
Clint S

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:44 am

My bad. It's CG-Survey. Go dowm to topo, down to Breaklines, there you have the by code option. Normally breaklines are 3d or 2d with a z value, which works the same way.
Clint, the ONLY reason I am dogging your butt is that you are wasting a ton of power that can make your company MUCH larger profits. If all you are going to do is draw point to point, save a few bucks and go with a basic program like Terramodel or some such other time waster.
You owe it to yourself and your company to start crying about training. I can guarantee that your company will recoup any training dollars spent within 3 months. We had Paul Carlson come and give us training on our field and office packs we purchased from him. (Carlson College member Carlson Desktop Solutions out of Austin. Texas.) The increase in speed and efficiency in both the field and office has increased profits enough that those training classes have been paid for MANY times over.
Dent Cermak

Postby Nava Ran » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Clint
If helps send me the crd file and I will send you the 3d breaklines dwg file.
Nava Ran

Postby Gibtruck » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:51 am

Clint,

Follows these steps:

1. Survey - Field to finish - if it asks for a field code def file, then select new and type a name;

2. If it asks to split multiple codes, then apply the correct setting here (no if you don't understand what it means);

3. Select Code table by CRD at bottom right of screen;

4. Select Append;

5. Invidiually select all your 3D linework codes whilst holding ctrl key (because it defaults to points only), and then hit the edit button below the codes highlighted;

6. Select the Entity button and then choose 3D polyline;

7. Exit Edit mode and hit the draw button (save file on exit);

8. Hit OK.

It took me about 10 mins to write this with distractions, so I reckon you can do it in about 5mins, depending how many codes you need to pick.

If things don't quite look right then check the settings in the F2F display box.

Good luck.
Gibtruck

Postby Clint S » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Thanks Guys.

Think I got her beat.
Clint S

Why 3d vs 2d?

Postby sfd-surveytech » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Specifically directed towards Clint S, but anyone who has something to add...please do:

I was wondering if you could explain why 3d polylines are needed/perfered instead of 2d polylines for your modeling? If you import your field data into your Carslon desktop software, can software process the data from the points as opposed from the lines?

Perhaps you could also point out some advantages to using 3d polylines?

The only one that I'm aware of is that you could offset a 3d polyline by various criteria and create a new line with new points with corresponding co-ordinates. Other than design, I don't see how much use that would be in the field? Please correct me if I'm mistaken or you have a great application for this!

I see others have encouraged you to use F2F codes and please allow me to as well. Obviously, I only use 2d polylines but I love the idea of seing my line work being drawn as I collect data! It allows me to see progress and make sure the linework will look good when its sent to the office. More importanly, I can modify the line work it in the field by collecting more data and/or finessing it to get a reasonable and practical representation of the field conditions and then hopefully prevent a second trip to collect more data to clarify things for the drafter.

Looking forward to learning about those 3d polylines! :)
sfd-surveytech

Postby Dent Cermak » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 am

3d polys vs 2d polys? When VAR's train you on surfaces they will claim that you will have to trace all of the lines you want to use at breaklines as 3d polys. I always ask. "Well what about proximity faults?" They ALWAYS answer, "I don't know anything about proximity fauls so I cannot answer your question." At that point I quit listenening to them because they do not know what they are doing.
Fact is, no matter how you do the breaklines, there will ALWAYS be some segments that are not honored by the tin lines. That's why you have the flip face option in LDD.
NEVER DRAW THE SAME LINE TWICE. That matra comes from the old pin registration days and is still valid today.
I use the surface tools in Carlson exactly like I did in LDD. I use 3d polys ONLY for my curb lines and the offset gutter line. I use the 2d polys that my F2F generated just like I did in LDD as proximity faults. (That term is not used in Carlson, but when you use those lines and the point file for the surface, it treats them just like proximity faults.)
I tell the surface selection to use 2ds, 3ds and I tell it to use the Carlson Point file. (That way I do not have to clutter stuff up with the actual point blocks in the drawing.)
Play with the selected items in the pull down until you are satisfied with the results. (No matter what you do, some line sectors will be missed. It's just the nature of the beast.)
Now I want one thing clearly understood; I make no claims to be an expert in any phase of Carlson. This is what works for me in my drawings, but remember, Carlson is a lot like Softdesk was, there's more than one way to do anything in Carlson. There are at least 3 ways to perform every Carlson command. I have been to enough Carlson College classes to be dangerous, so take nothing that I post as gospel. You may find a better way for what you do. My way works, BUT it is not the ONLY way.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey