Breaklines

Moderator: Carlson Support

Breaklines

Postby VR » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I'm new to Carlson. How do i create breakilnes? I like to import my points with Z=0. I tried creating a 2D polyline along the points i have then going to 3D Data and converting 2D to 3D polylines but it did not work. Can anyone help?
VR

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 am

Use field to finish to create your line work as 2D POLYLINES. You can use polylines as breaklines under the selection set pull down. Use your points, 2d polylines, 3d polylined for your curb lines, etc. Select by window all polylines that reflect man made features (Asphalt, Concrete, buildings, etc.). Turn off your linework for things that do not affect contours (utilities, fences, etc.). These 2d polys will work like the proximity faults in LDD. This should work. It does for me. However, just like LDD, some lines will not be used on the initial surface build. (I do not know why this happens but it does in AutoCad and in Carlson, and most other DTM programs I have used.) Use the add breakline and swap tin edges editing to add the tin along these segments.
Dent Cermak

Postby ColC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:29 am

If you are using Field 2 Finish(if not I suggest you try it), you can create 2D lines & 3D or both. I use both in many situations. 3d Lines will only come up as continous line with plotting. So I use the 3d line for creating my DTM and the 2D lines for plotting.

If you are creating the lines on screen, then you can use create 3D polylines and you can you use tag hardbreaklines . I haven't used the latter much so I cannot assist much in that area.

Good luck
ColC

Return to Survey