LDD Desc. Keys --> Field to Finish

Moderator: Carlson Support

LDD Desc. Keys --> Field to Finish

Postby Chops » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Newbie here. Just made the switch to Carlson from LDD.

I tried to find this with the search but failed.

Is there a way to import my LDD Desc. Keys to F2F?

I'm running Carlson 2011 Survey w/ Acad 2011 (full ver.) all 64 bit install on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks
Chops

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Survey
Draw Field To Finish
Bottom left corner: Edit Codes/Points
Bottom left of that pulldown ia a block called "Code Table"
Click on tab "Code Table Settings"
Next pulldown has a button "Import Land Desktop Descriptor Keys"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once this is done, you will need to really look at the results. You have a ton of tools there that you do not have in AutoCad. Combining these settings with the descriptor codes that Carlson offers will result in things you cannot do in AutoCad. You will be able to label inverts with text, insert a tree symbol with the tree description entered as text where you want it and MUCH more, all by simply running your *.crd file through Field To Finish.
Looking at your listed setup, it appears you have put a ton of cash into your system, now is the time to learn how to configure that system amd use all of the tools to increase productivity enough to recoup those costs. I would strongly recommend taking the full course at your nearest Carlson College center. At the VERY least, watch the trainning films that are available on this web site.
I just transitioned from LDD also and I can assure you that you cannot teach yourself all that Carlson offers. The manual that you can download for free covers all of the menus, but is a little light in how to use those menus. The good old days of grabbing the book and teaching yourself how to use software are pretty much gone. ANY funds you put into trainning will be paid back in increased productivity and profits in a VERY short time.
Dent Cermak

Postby Chops » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 pm

I was one click away from finding it! Darnit!

Thanks for the reply and the Carlson tips. Your right, those days of learning by yourself are gone.

I started off in 1986 with C&G on a CPM machine with a 5 1/4" floppy for the operating system and another 5 1/4" for the data.

I was on the fence about going with Civil 3D, but it just seems that Autodesk is moving further and further away from the needs of the Surveyor.

Thanks Again
Chops

Postby Dent Cermak » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 pm

AutoDesk has made the move to incorporate its survey pac (LDD) into the middle of an expensive engineering software package. There have been no really major changes in LDD since Softdesk was sucked up by AutoDesk.
A seat of Civil 3D id very costly. It makes no sense for a surveyor to purchase an expensive package of which he will use only 20%-25% .
My company looked at the numbers and our needs and backed away from Civil 3D. We went with the Carlson Survey pack with embedded AutoCad. It is right at half the cost of a seat of Civil3D and does everythinh that our company needs. This package also allows me to do auto line work and templete files for more than one setup, something that no one could show me how to do in AutoCad. I have to have the automation for in house work, State Highway Department work and Corpd of Engineers work. Each has its own symbols, layers and line types. I have all of this set up, yet the field ctrews use only one descriptor key list plus the Carlson special field codes. That would never work in Autocad.
Like you, I have used AutoCad since the mid-60's and added on the Maptech Survey pac or, later the Softdesk pacs and then over to LDD. I loved the LDD software, but then it started to get messed up and going places I could not go without TONS of cash for trainning classes generally taught by VAR's that did not know how to use the software. Most classes I soon realized that I knew more than the instructor.
Anyway, check the Carlson College listing on this site and get with the member nearest you. (When I went there was only ONE Carlson College. It was in Virginia and I am in Mississippi. Luckily, I knew the local Baptist minister in Front Royal, so I took the wife with me and combined work with pleasure.)
Right now we are purchasing our software and trainning from a Carlson College member - CarlsonDS, Paul Carlson in Austin, Texas and am VERY satisfied with the sales, trainning and support we are getting from Paul.
I know 3 or 4 of the Carlson College outfits and have found them all to be really good. I would suggest dealing with them for sales and support. I have yet to find a regular VAR that could answer my questions or problems satisfactorily.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey