Productive usage of Line Tables

Moderator: Carlson Support

Productive usage of Line Tables

Postby todbiker » Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

Using Carlson Survey 2011 with autocad standalone
I see the “delete table elements” and have used it to dynamically renumber the table element numbers and the associated line labels. This helps if I’m obviously removing segments from a line, but what if I need to add them?

End users of my dwg’s want me to provide metes and bounds with tables being one of the few options. The problem is some of these projects are in a constant state of flux due to client or county imposed demands till a final submittal, so the street RoW’s, lots configurations, and easements change over time and need to be updated. Am I missing some functionality here?

If I delete a table entity, go back and pick the line missing a label and select “renumber” the table and line now have duplicate label numbers? This is one scenario, the other more challenging scenario is a RoW’s configuration changes in one area and increases the number of required table elements. Is this something that can be updated dynamically so the label numbers follow the linework sequentially rather than going L1, L2, L3, L25, but the table looks normal L1, L2, L3, L4,….., L25

How do I work with the intended functionality of the software and not fight it?

Thanks and regards,
Dave
todbiker

Table limitations

Postby todbiker » Thu May 26, 2011 2:21 pm

So I emailed Carlson support about this and got a response within a couple hours, ultimately it was not a fruitful outcome.

What I did learn from poking around; Settings/Carlson Configure/General Settings
There's a toggle to link labels with linework, with this 'on', tables will update if you grab a line node and move it around. Or if you delete a piece of a labeled polyline, it will remove the label for the missing segment from the table, but because the orgin of the polyline changes, so does the order of the labels.

If all you're labeling is one ROW, you used a closed polyline and the ROW gets revised, it's not a big deal to just recreate the whole table using autoannotate with the create table toggle on. Here again the 'delete table elements' works great, but trying to add table elements inside an existing sequence of label numbers seems impossible.

Case in point, I have a section of townhouse lots where the curves are spread out between different private ROW lines, making autoannotate useless. Also due to drafting space, I have to use tables for curve segments for the individual lots along these private ROW lines. For the arc segments, I only want to tabulate an arc length and radius versus arc lenght, radius, chord bearing, chord lenght, tangent, & delta angle for the overall ROW curves. I missed a couple of curves on the overall ROW curves, so now I have to either relabel all the curve segments to make room for the missing ROW curves, or have a jump of label numbers in my ROW curve table.

If there is a way to simply renumber existing table entities, please someone speak up. if it's not, perhaps Carlson could step up to the plate and make this a reality. How can you have a delete table element and not a renumbering feature?
todbiker

Link labels to lines toggle

Postby todbiker » Fri May 27, 2011 3:39 pm

For me this feature turned out to be more trouble than it was worth. The reason, not only does it link the table to the labels as implied, it also keeps resetting the label locaition with regards to the line. I labeled around 150 lines/curves, some of these were segments and were on top of each other or other text, so I moved them around. Kept noticing labels I thought I had moved back on top of each other. Wasn't my imagination, the link labels to line toggle was the culprit, won't be using that toggle again, unless there's another toggle for text justification.
todbiker

Return to Survey