CAD software

Moderator: Carlson Support

CAD software

Postby xelecara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 am

What is a good, simple CAD software for a non professional? I am thinking of building my own house? What is a CAD software to use? I never used one. Is it hard to use for a lay person?
Last edited by xelecara on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
xelecara

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Oh no, it's so easy to do that most of the "professionals" in our office refer to us as "Cad Monkeys".
Look on eBay for the inexpensive cad programs for doing floor plans. Do not spend more than $100 on the package. Anything costlier than that will take you into an area that you will not be able to deal with. There's more to designing a house or drawing construction plans than just using a CAD package.
You can do your layouts, but in order to build anything, you will probably need it reviewed at least by a "professional". Wouldn't be cool if the house fell in on your head because of a structural design error.
Ease of use of CAD packages? The software that I use from this supplier runs about $3,000 per seat. I then spent another $2,000 on specific software training. And that's on top of the 40+ years of experience that I have in my field. Yes sir, CAD work is so simple anyone can do it; even a monkey.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey