Combined Transformations

Moderator: Carlson Support

Combined Transformations

Postby edonald » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:05 am

I'm working on a project that started off in an assumed coordinate system and at the conclusion of the field work I recieved UTM coordinates of some nearby control. I tied the control that I set with the known control and now I need to rotate & translate my topography from assumed to UTM. Using the help menu I found a description for "Combined Transfortmation" but could not locate it from any of the menus ( points,survey,etc. ) Does anyone know where this can be located? I was also watching one of the webinars which used the "Adjust Coordinates" menu from the "points" drop down. Are these bacically the same commands?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Erik
edonald

Postby gskelhorn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 pm

edonald: play around with Points | Adjust | Coordinate Transformation to transform Local Coordinates. Depending on the number of control points you have you may want to use the least squares option. If you use the rigid body option you get a best fit with no scaling.

Another way into the Coordinate Transformation is from the Coordinate File Utilities. Which is where you will find the discussion of the transformation options in the help file I believe.

Have fun!
gskelhorn

Return to Survey