Points default questions

Moderator: Carlson Support

Points default questions

Postby drwilson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi, I'm a LDD/X-Civil 3D user configuring Carlson 2011 & have hit a couple of stumbling blocks relative to point defaults.

1. Where can I set the default attribute text height?
2. What is the best way to seperate symbols from points. They are all contained within a block sort of the way C3D had them in a style & we like to strip points & leave symbols when sending files out to a client.
3. I'm having issues with the X marker block. I set the scaling for my symbol & it seems to want to control that point symbol too. Don't really know why it's there. can I iliminate it & just use PDMODE to get my X from the AutoCAD point?

Thanks for any help. New to Carlson so I may be thinking to Civil 3D like.

P.S. cool thread on the evening gowns.
drwilson

Postby Nava Ran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:13 pm

1+3 Settings>Drawing Setup
Set Symbol Plot Size and Text Plot Size as you wish
2 Points>Points Defaults
Check on under Separate Layers as you wish
Good luck
Nava Ran

Postby drwilson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks, I got the text height working. symbols are sizing but I want to get rid of that SPT0 point symbol.

I'm looking to separate the actual block. In land desktop, you brought in points & it assigned a block per the code. what you ended up with was a point and a block. What I am getting with Carlson is a single block that includes the point & the symbol. Can I seperate these two somewhere?
drwilson

Postby Nava Ran » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Settings>Carlson Configure
General Settings-Check off Group Point Entities
I suggest you to learn and use F2F
http://www.tomer-il.com/uploads/F2F-DEMO3D-GEDERA.avi
Nava Ran

Postby drwilson » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Nava Ran wrote:Settings>Carlson Configure
General Settings-Check off Group Point Entities
I suggest you to learn and use F2F
http://www.tomer-il.com/uploads/F2F-DEMO3D-GEDERA.avi

Thanks, that's what I'm doing. part of that is aksing dumb questions which I prepaced this with.
drwilson

Postby Dent Cermak » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:35 pm

To separate the block from the point group, run field to finish with points, lines and symbols set. Then erase the points (Say bye-bye to your symbols for the time being). Then re-run with points UNCHECKED. Just have the lines and symbols checked. Now bring in your points by "Draw points" under the points menu.
Now your symbols and points are not linked. (Nava, I know you are going to fuss at me, but unchecking the 2 boxes you told me about does not fix my problem. it may in 2012-I am on 2010.) This is a work-around that I have been using since survey 2007 and has just become second nature to me. A tad combersomer, but it does what I need.
ALSO, be sure that pdmode is set to 0 (zero).
Dent Cermak

Postby drwilson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks, actually checking off group point objects did the trick for me.
drwilson

Postby drwilson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Dent Cermak wrote:To separate the block from the point group, run field to finish with points, lines and symbols set. Then erase the points (Say bye-bye to your symbols for the time being). Then re-run with points UNCHECKED. Just have the lines and symbols checked. Now bring in your points by "Draw points" under the points menu.
Now your symbols and points are not linked. (Nava, I know you are going to fuss at me, but unchecking the 2 boxes you told me about does not fix my problem. it may in 2012-I am on 2010.) This is a work-around that I have been using since survey 2007 and has just become second nature to me. A tad combersomer, but it does what I need.
ALSO, be sure that pdmode is set to 0 (zero).

This proved to be the method we've adopted so thanks for that advice Dent. one last piece I can't seem to get or understand is what happens to points that are brought in via draw locate points with "match F2F layers" checked when the code does not match a corresponding code in the fld file?

In the past, Land Desktop would just put these on the current layer and Civil 3D, you could specify a layer or set it go on the current layer. It makes it easy to review all the shots that were not coded correctly.

If I use F2F to bring in points, they fall on the current layer. If I use draw locate to bring in points (with F2F layers unchecked) they go on the default layer in point defaults. but if I check on "use F2F layers" the ones with matching codes in the fld file go on the specified layers but the ones with out a matching description seem to go on various layers, usually one that has been used previously.

Anyone else have this issue?
drwilson

Postby jhenning » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:05 pm

This has seemed to work for us pretty well. Setup the default code within the field code library to process points within the "BAD CODES" group. When you import points and then process field to finish it should prompt you to allow all incorrect codes to be process with default settings. These default settings will place all of the unknown codes within the "BAD CODES" point group. You can then isolate them by group through various tools. I usually go to edit points then filter by the "BAD CODES" group in which I only see those codes. You can also specify within the field code library what layer to place these on. Let me know if this works for you.
jhenning

Postby drwilson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks, I tried that & worked but in the process... I really went out on a limb... and read the help menu.

I've made one code in my fld file with * for the description & maped it to an unknown point layer. 1st try, it seems to work
drwilson

Return to Survey