backfilling quantities estimating

Moderator: Carlson Support

backfilling quantities estimating

Postby ceasar » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi, Hope all are doing fine
I wonder if I can get help with Backfilling quantities estimating for my site layout,
I have this site and it's huge, all counter lines are already set, I just need to use Carlson 2011 to estimate the quantities for cut and fill,

I am looking forward to hear from you guys,
this is my first post, hope it will not be the last :?

Regards

Ceasar
ceasar

Backfilling quantities estimating

Postby SurvTech31 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Ceasar,
I am sure there are several approaches to this, but here is where I would start. I would create a TIN file for each of my surfaces, your existing and your final. From the sounds of it, you will be able to do this using your contour lines. Use the Triangulate & Contour command under the surface menu. I typically like to draw Triangulation Faces and Contours during the process. I do this because depending on your existing contours, you may get some unexpected results which would affect your quantities. Under the selection tab make sure you have "2D Polylines" checked, eventhough the contours have elevations they are treated as 2D since they are in one plane.

Once you have TINs for your existing and final surface, you can use the Volume by Triangulation command to calculate a volume. It will prompt you for an existing surface (TIN) and a Final surface (TIN) and depending on your settings an inclusion/exclusion line. This will generate a report of how much cut/fill exists between the two surfaces.

Couple of general notes: volume will only be calculated for areas that are contained in both TIN files. You may need to use the swap tin edge command if you encounter and unexpected results during the contour process.

Hope this helps you get started in the right direction. Good luck!
SurvTech31

Postby ceasar » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 am

Surv Tech
I really appreciate your assistance, and your prompt response to my post
I will do exactly what you said, and will get back to you if I have another issue (May I???)

Thanks a lot bro

regards

Ceasar
ceasar

Postby SurvTech31 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Glad to help whenever I can.
SurvTech31

Re: backfilling quantities estimating

Postby tmist » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:45 pm

I do everything SurvTech31 described, however I create two new layers with different colors and generate the tins accordingly. It just makes it easier when you have everything in one drawing.
tmist

Return to Survey