Point layers

Moderator: Carlson Support

Point layers

Postby richright » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I am running survey 2010 and was wondering if there is a way to draw points and have all the attributes come in on the same layer? So in other words when I draw points and I select the layer PNTS to draw them on it automatically creates the layers PNTDESC, PNTELEV, PNTNO for the attributes. I want all the attributes to be on the PNTS layer and it not create the other layers. Any suggestions?
richright

Postby Slim » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 pm

It can be done, but what is your reasoning behind wanting to do so?
Slim

Postby richright » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:17 pm

When i am calculating up big jobs, such as roads, I create different point layers for the different things that need to be staked like all the different underground utilities. And every time it makes four different layers for each set of points, the list of layers gets long really quick. Just looking to shorten it up. Thanks
richright

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 am

Perhaps point groups are a better solution?
Dent Cermak

Postby richright » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:27 am

Point groups are one way to do it but I would still like to know how to make them one single layer
richright

Postby ColC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 am

It sounds like you have Separate Attribute Layers (in F2F for each of your codes) set to something other than None. You should also un select Distinct Point Layer. That way you get one layer for each of PNTNo, PNTDesc & PNTElev.

For example for codes TB & BB which creates points in layer TopBank, BotBank. When you run F2F the layers PNTNo, PNTDesc & PNTElev are turned on. you can then turn off layers PNTNo, PNTDesc and only the PNTElev will appear for the layers which are on. So turn off Bot Bank and only the elev for TopBank are on.

You can do an enormous amount with these attributes I suggest you look at some earlier posts on attributes. You can setup your own layer names for these attributes if you wish by editing the 10 Point Attribute Id's
ColC

Return to Survey