Multiple codes on a point issues

Moderator: Carlson Support

Multiple codes on a point issues

Postby drwilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm

Our old sofware didn't allow for this so this is sort of new & we are running into some issues.

The field guys are in the habbit of appending a code sometimes to make it more clear what's going on.

We also have a 16 character limit on our data collectors, which in our old software, LDD/C3D, we didn't double code so this was rarely a problem.

so, utility pole with multiple lines comeing from it is coded as:

PP OHP1 B OHP2 B OHP3 B

This works, puts a pole block in & starts 3 lines. But a symbol & 3 lines, we're at 23 characters already.

Really don't want to redefine our existing 3 letter codes if I don't have to, has anyone run into this?

Problem 2:

Doing a water line & they want to describe a "T" in the line & show a second lateral line going to a meter:

WL
WL-T WL1 B
WL1 E WM
WL

This is working except the "dash T" is making the main line lose that code. I have my F2F code for water as WL*. It seems to pick up the wildcard sometimes but not others. I would say it's random but I know it's not & there is some rule I'm breaking but I just can't seem to figure out what it is.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
drwilson

Postby drwilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Not as random as I thought. apending a description with a dash, lines don't connect. appending description with a / allows the codes to connect but any multiple code after the / is ignored.

I have astricks after all my codes in the fld file. I'm confused as to why I can't append the description?
drwilson

Postby Nava Ran » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Description that works:
PP OHP1 OHP2 OHP3
Nava Ran

Postby drwilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm

We talked about that as a way to minimize characters but once you get to OHP10 it's the same # as OHP B.

I probably should have posted this as two seperate things but they are used to putting more info after the code. OHP-3PHASE for example. I want to start the line on with OHP & then OHP-3PHASE on the next code. My fld file has OHP* so I don't know why it doesn't pick it up? It does for layers.

I experimented with a slash. OHP/PHASE3 works but if you have multiple codes, OHP/PHASE3 OHP1 B, The OHP1 line gets ignored because it's after the slash (I think).
drwilson

Postby drwilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Ok, not sure what I was thinking but obviously all the codes within a line must match.

This is what I was attempting to resolve. running a water line, locate a T connection within the line & run another line from it.

they had put:

WL B
WL-T WL1 B
WL E

WL T WL1 B makes it work & treats the T as a seperate code but the information is there in the point description.
drwilson

Postby ColC » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

It seems you have worked through the problem yourself and got the solution. I used to have the problem you have with limited characters when I was using older but very good software I took the plunge and went to the Carlson+ and SurvCe. The lack of characters was one of my considerations. This step really improved my field operations and office reductions. I miss my old software which I have to say was more user friendly. But I have to say it was one of better investments in my many years of business.
ColC

Postby drwilson » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Yea, we just upgraded office software & collectors & decisioin was made to keep the old software to save $. That will be the next upgrade.
drwilson

Return to Survey