2012 Glitch

Moderator: Carlson Support

2012 Glitch

Postby SurvTech31 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:10 pm

I recently found a glitch in Carlson Survey 2012 embedded and wanted to pass along a word of warning. I have notified Carlson about this and they have addressed the issue and it will be fixed in the next update. But until then I felt I should pass along what I have found.

Here is what I found:

While processing a GPS file, I was getting inconsistant data. I processed the file two different ways, (1) using a geoid (the 2003 geoid) and (2) using no geoid. I found that after adjusting each individual file to the same benchmark of known coordinates, the elevations of my topo points varied by as much as 14 feet! It turns out that while processing the file with no geoid, the program was taking the elevation it received from the satellites in meters and subtracting the rod height in feet. This difference is what was being returned as my elevations.

My site was in a remote area and if we had not done work on this site previously that happened to overlap with the new data, I would have never known. So use extreme caution!
SurvTech31

Postby site admin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:48 pm

This was recently fixed. Anyone experiencing this, please email us at support@carlsonsw.com and we can send the fix to you. Please reference Case 69772 so we can find this for you. Thank you.
Technical Support

Carlson Software
support@carlsonsw.com
606-564-5028
site admin
Site Admin

Return to Survey