Tins From Points

Moderator: Carlson Support

Tins From Points

Postby odak » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I am currently using Carlson Survey embedded w/ autocad 2010. I update my project w/ my dwg. points. when I turn on the points I want to use to tin with, I window the points and then I tin from triangulate and contour. The only options are ALL/GROUP. I tried ALL and GROUP and the tin verticies do not land on the point nodes. I have tried all combinations w/ trianulate & selection but nothing seems too work. How can I pick just the points I window?
odak

Postby SurvTech31 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm

It sounds like you are running your triangulation using your CRD file, is this correct? If this is the case, obviously make sure the points you are highlighting are in the CRD file you have attached to the drawing. Something else to look into, when you are within the Triangulate and Contour command, under the Selection tab (I am running 2012 embedded, but I don't think it has changed much since 2010) make sure you have your Carlson Points/CAD Points checked. Hopefully some combination of the above will work for you.
SurvTech31

Postby odak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:26 am

First of all thanks for replying SurvTech32, I am using my CRD file, and I have the points on that I want to tin from. I set selection to carlson points/cad points. When I tin with a window some points on the perimmiter and in the dwg. falls right on the point nodes, but 90% don't. I check the contours and where they don't fall on the points and the contouring is incorrect.
odak

Postby gskelhorn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:15 am

Just a wild guess at the first thing I would check... Have you compared the CRD and drawing points using coordinate file utilities?
gskelhorn

Postby odak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi gskelhorn, I did compare my CRD file, took all my points out, reinserted them, retined and the same thing happens. I even converted the points to softdesk opened the dwg. in autocad 2000, tined it and the tin worked fine. I just don't understand it. I worked with autocad 2000 since it came out. Tining was my strong suit. I guess the jump to cad 2010 is too much of a gap. They change things around so much just to call it a new version.
odak

Postby SurvTech31 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

One other thing to check/try: What happens when you uncheck the "Fron File or Point Group" option under the selection tab within the triangulate and contour and just try to run it using the points on the screen? Make sure your points have been inserted on real Z before doing this method. Let me know if there are any changes.
SurvTech31

Postby J-Mac » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 pm

I usually create a csv file of the points that I want to use in my surface - I don't really want to use all of the points in the crd (some have bogus elevations).

So, when contouring, I pick the From File option on the selection tab. This might solve your problems.

Also, I never put my points on Real Z. This caused me tons of headaches in the beginning, when I first started using Carlson, as it's the default option (or was). And you don't need it when using a separate point file for contouring.

Also, I have my F2F setup for a separate 3D polyline for the breaklines.
J-Mac

Postby odak » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Well I tried everthing suggested to me with the same results. The tin falls off of most of my points. I can see the points, I can zoom to a point in my field of tin points but the tin doesn't like them. Now I have to send my problem to Carlson's suppot for this one. If I get an answer to my problem I'll post it. Thank u all
odak

Postby J-Mac » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 pm

You exported a point file, and then tried to use that for your tin (not your crd file)?
J-Mac

Postby SurvTech31 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, how are you placing your points in your drawing? I don't think it should matter if you are using the by file method, but the reason I suggested trying it without the file was to see if perhaps having the points set as being "non-surface" was your issue. If you have the F2F code set as a non-surface, when you field to finish your points, they will be ignored during contouring whether they are drawn on real Z axis or not... let me know what you find out from Carlson.
SurvTech31

Postby odak » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:15 pm

DAAAAAH - this one is totally on me. In triangulate and contour under triangulate I had simplify surface checked w/ a tolerance of 1.0. I was more conserned with preserve breaklines just below it that I missed it. Sorry about that, but thank u all again.
odak

Postby Dent Cermak » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:17 pm

I really wish Carlson would take that "Simplify Surface" option OUT of the software. It causes ten times more problems than it is worth. I have yet to find a valid reason to use that setting. It does more to screw up a surface than it ever will to help a project along.
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey