point labels

Moderator: Carlson Support

point labels

Postby drwilson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 pm

one thing I liked about Civil 3D was being able to have dynamic labels on the points.

I sort of replicated what we had in Carlson by inserting the block attributes in the dwg template the "Attribute layout ID" uses from point defaults & then edited the attributes the way I wanted them.

It works well enough but its dependant on the template with the block definition modified with in it.

really trying to stay away from maintaining block definitions on each machine but I can't find a place to network the location that Carlson inserts this particular block from. It doesn't appear to be in the symbol library.

Anyone know where to do this or if there is an alternative method of creating custom point labels?
drwilson

Postby Nava Ran » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:32 am

Attribute Layout ID: Controls the location of the point number, elevation and description. These attribute layouts are defined in drawings that are stored in the Carlson SUP directory with the file name of SRVPNO plus the ID number (i.e. SRVPNO1.DWG, SRVPNO2.DWG, etc.). If you want to change the attribute positions for a layout ID, then open and edit the associated SRVPNO drawing.
Nava Ran

Postby jhenning » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:28 am

Have you tried copying the point attribute drawings to a network location and then mapping an autocad support directory that points to their network location. It's just a theory, I can do this with block definitions but have not tried doing this with the point attributes. I am assuming that If you map the location and then place it at top of the support file search paths, it might choose those before the ones in the Carlson support directory. If you try this let me know how it turns out.
jhenning

Postby drwilson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Nava Ran wrote:Attribute Layout ID: Controls the location of the point number, elevation and description. These attribute layouts are defined in drawings that are stored in the Carlson SUP directory with the file name of SRVPNO plus the ID number (i.e. SRVPNO1.DWG, SRVPNO2.DWG, etc.). If you want to change the attribute positions for a layout ID, then open and edit the associated SRVPNO drawing.

That's what I did initially but I'm managing multiple workstations in 4 offices so networking the blocks would be helpful. I havn't looked yet, but I'm guessing there is a sld file in the SUP that I can update for the preview as well.

jhenning wrote:Have you tried copying the point attribute drawings to a network location and then mapping an autocad support directory that points to their network location. It's just a theory, I can do this with block definitions but have not tried doing this with the point attributes. I am assuming that If you map the location and then place it at top of the support file search paths, it might choose those before the ones in the Carlson support directory. If you try this let me know how it turns out.

Very simple fix. Don't know why I didn't think of trying this. I will & will let you know how it works. I'm thinking it probably will.

Thanks for the input.
drwilson

Postby jhenning » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:50 pm

Just to update, I mapped a network location to a directory with the same attribute symbol names i.e. "srvpno02.dwg" and added it to the top of the support directory but found that if the symbol still exits within the Carlson support directory it selects that one first regardless of the hierarchy of the support paths. Once I manually removed the symbol from the Carlson support directory, the one in the network location was selected.
jhenning

Postby drwilson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Yes, same thing here. Although I noticed that when I set a network support pthat to the top in options, close & reopen Carlson, the local Carlson support paths are back at the top. I've never seen that. But that may be why yours is still finding the local blocks
drwilson

Return to Survey