RECT special code weirdness

Moderator: Carlson Support

RECT special code weirdness

Postby johnh2005 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Good morning everyone. Here working in the office on a Saturday fixing office related problems... Anyway, I am trying to fix our F2F file so that our field codes are processed properly. I have gotten it mostly fixed but now I have ran into a really odd problem: The RECT special code.

So, I have three points that does not have an entry in our .fld file. Then I have three points that are in the .fld file. We have the following points:

1 acpad start
2 acpad
3 acpad rect
4 cfce1 start
5 cfce1
6 cfce 1 rect

The code acpad is not in our .fld file (not sure why...) and it will dray the rectangle just fine for those (We have about 4 or 5 of them shot in on the job) then for the chain fence (cfce1) it will NOT draw a rectangle. I changed it to cfce without the 1, I tried st cfce, st cfce1. Nothing will draw the rectangle. If I go in and change the code to acpad instead of cfce1 it will draw the rectangle just fine. I have gone through the options in the .fld book to see if there is anything that might stop it from drawing the rectangle but I cannot figure out what it is.

I am having some other issues as well that I have not worked out yet. Once I get a chance to work them more if I have any more questions I will come back here and ask.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

John
johnh2005

Re: RECT special code weirdness

Postby johnh2005 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Ok, so I just went in and for the heck of it changed the cfce code from Entity Type: (X) Line to Entity Type: (X) Point and it drew the rectangle just fine.

I guess this why I need to actually get a class on this software. I see no reason why that should be...

If anyone can chime in with a reason or the "proper way" I should be doing line work I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

John
johnh2005

Postby ColC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:11 pm

John

A lesson can be useful, but the discoveries you make by your own inquiry are the most beneficial. There are so many options available in the program that you would a lot of lessons to cover everything. I haven't had the opportunity to go to any of the lessons(by virtue of distance), but I have found the available movies extremely useful.
ColC

Postby Nava Ran » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:36 am

Use Code Table by CRD to create code table definitions based on the coordinate file field descriptions.
Remove start from field description, row 1 and 4:
1 acpad
2 acpad
3 acpad rect
4 cfce1
5 cfce1
6 cfce1 rect
Last edited by Nava Ran on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nava Ran

Postby johnh2005 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Thank you both for your responses. I learn almost everything by trial and error. I am the field surveyor not the office personnel who SHOULD be doing this. I do not even use ACAD or Carlson on a daily basis. Heck even a monthly basis. A couple of times a year at most.

I have watched one of the movies so far and plan on watching some more as time allows.

I just know that these movies will not cover some of the stuff I need. MOST people who use the program on a daily basis probably know 95% more than me and the makers of those videos assume that I know probably at least 25% of what they know... So, the very basic stuff that I might need will not be covered. However, they have gotten me VERY far on the stuff I could understand.

Nava Ran wrote:Use Code Table by CRD to create code table definitions based on the coordinate file field descriptions.
Remove start from field description, row 1 and 4:
1 acpad
2 acpad
3 acpad rect
4 cfce1
5 cfce1
6 cfce 1 rect

When I did this I had no lines at all. Completely not what I wanted :cry: As I noted above the ACPAD is not in the F2F file at all and I had to change the CFCE code to be point only not a line entity. Any more suggestions?

Thanks guys :D
johnh2005

Postby ColC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Your solution is fine, You will still get points created at each node.
You sound like the ideal field surveyor with the ability to work out solutions under a difficult environment.
I would like to suggest you get your office staff and field staff collaborating on the F2F codes. It is essential that the everyone has a good understanding of the special codes. The options available for each code have grown with subsequent versions and take a bit more time to work through. I find I am revising the codes regularly and I know there are more improvements I could make. It is difficult to set the time aside to experiment with the codes when you have clients pressing for the final product.

Good luck with it all
ColC

Postby Nava Ran » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 am

Send me your crd and fld file with description for what you want to get for each code.
See:
http://www.tomer-il.com/uploads/F2F-DEMO3D-GEDERA.avi
http://www.screencast.com/t/QBXSdD2DJS
Nava Ran

Postby johnh2005 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:31 pm

ColC wrote:Your solution is fine, You will still get points created at each node.
You sound like the ideal field surveyor with the ability to work out solutions under a difficult environment.
I would like to suggest you get your office staff and field staff collaborating on the F2F codes. It is essential that the everyone has a good understanding of the special codes. The options available for each code have grown with subsequent versions and take a bit more time to work through. I find I am revising the codes regularly and I know there are more improvements I could make. It is difficult to set the time aside to experiment with the codes when you have clients pressing for the final product.

Good luck with it all

Thank you. It seems no one in our office has the ability or the willingness to help me work out how field work is processed. It has been left up to me to make it where when we bring in the field work they click a few buttons to process the field work, slap a border on it (Lets hope they ask me to automate that too) and send it to the client. I have came a LONG way with how the jobs are being processed. I just wish I had a better understanding of all of the fields and why things are certain ways. I am trying to get my bosses to schedule an in house training session. Lets hope I can get that going.
johnh2005

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm

JOHNH2005,
Inhouse training is a fantastic idea..............................unless you are talking about classes by the VAR (the dude you purchased the software from). Usually these guys don't have a clue. In most cases you will soon realise that you already know more about the software than they do. I've wasted a lot of money on VAR classes over the years.
I don't know where you are located, but I would strongly recommend you go to classes set up by one of the Carlson College members. These folks know what they are doing. If you are near the territory covered by That CAD Girl, she has some classes setup at VERY affordable prices. Check her web site for her training calander.
There are other training centers that have classes. It is usually much cheaper to go to their facility than to have them come to yours.
There may even be some users in your area that are willing to help you get started. (I even do that from time to time.) They can help you with the pre-planning on the code list that will make all of this work correctly.
You can get just so much done by yourself. Be VERY careful about where you are going to spend your training funds. There are a lot of "experts" out there that work for big firms that actually do not know their hiney from a hole in the ground. Check out the ones that charge a big fee and take full advantage of local users that will teach you the same stuff for a cold brew or two. They are both out there, you just have to find the right one for your needs.
Dent Cermak

Postby johnh2005 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:33 pm

The guy I am in talks with is Paul Carlson. From just talking to him he seems to know his stuff. He is a Carlson College member and even has one of his Webinars up on the Carlson webpage called Working with DEM files. I have not watched it yet as I am not even sure what it is. It seems that getting some custom training is in the works. As soon as I get approval I will be sending my field book and crd files to Paul and my list of questions and material I want covered. The rates seem very reasonable to me (and apparently my bosses as well) for what we hope to get from the courses. I will post back here later on the results if it gets approved.
johnh2005

Postby Dent Cermak » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Paul Carlson is THE MAN!! He's the one we purchased our software from too. He knows his stuff inside and out and will not turn you loose until you understad what he is trying to teach you. I have been to several Carlson College sessions and Paul"s is BY FAR the best. Tell him what you want to learn and he will put together a training manual that you can rely on for years to come. Your bosses are VERY wise in letting you do it this way. Your productivity will sky rocket almost instantly. Get it all set up and running and their profits will grow (that wat YOU can look forward to a nice raise!!) You are very lucky to work for such far sighted bosses. I had to whine and cry for almost 2 years to get my Boss to go this route.
Please be sure to tell Paul I said "Hello"!!
Dent Cermak

Return to Survey