Draw Stage-Storage Curve Problems

Moderator: Carlson Support

Draw Stage-Storage Curve Problems

Postby justchil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm

Greetings!

One of our engineers is having some issues. I'm not an engineer and I don't have any experience with this software but I'm needing to find a solution with him. I will explain to the best of my ability!

I will try contacting via email and phone but wanted to try here first.

Structure -> Stage-Storage -> Draw Stage-Storage Curve.

Select stage storage file (.cap)

In the data preview window he's getting a bunch of 0's under the columns. On another computer with the same software configuration we see the data

If he continues with the invalid data... gets past the stage-storage setup. When inserting this on the drawing the program locks up for a considerable amount of time then crashes. I'm guess this is due to having invalid data passed along.

So my question is... why would the data not show up (shows all 0's) for each column/row when he imports his .cap file? Again, I can duplicate this process on another engineers computer but it works correctly.

I forgot to add. This is Carlson Survey 2011 (Hydrology). The engineer is running Autocad 2006. The other engineer that can do the same process no problem is also Carlson 2011 but is running Autocad 2009.
justchil

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 pm

I'ver never run the Hydro pac, but I will bet you a nickle that the problem lies within the antique AutoCad package. 2006 may not be able to handle the newer software commands.
Dent Cermak

Postby justchil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:12 pm

That was my first assumption too. I'm not sure if he would want to upgrade to 2009 or newer... I'm not sure why he's hanging on to 2006 either :)

He did say it has worked for him up until sometime fairly recent. Perhaps an update caused the issue or it began then. Hmmm!
justchil

Postby justchil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Ok he uses 2006 because that's what he's used too... and for whatever reason 2006 runs WAY faster than the newer versions.
justchil

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm

"That's the way we have always done it"........this reasoning has led to more corporate closings than any other.
It's kinda like what I said about AutoCad 2005 until I moved to 2007. I was just so wrong!! Same applies here.
"Comfort Zone" is very important and you will not get him to change, so he will have to learn to live with it or figure out a workaround. First see what got updated. Perhaps a System Restore back to a date when all "worked well"?
Dent Cermak

Postby justchil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I totally agree with what you're saying...but I'm pretty new here so I'm trying to keep the peace lol.

Finally have my hands on the computer again so I'm trying some things... there was a patch that applied to Carlson 2011 so I'm giving that a shot now.

Here is a screen shot of the same screens with different results... using the same .cab file too. You can see in a couple of the columns some data is missing :\

justchil

Postby justchil » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:15 pm

No go on the patch.

I haven't heard anything back from Carlson... so I guess I'll try Autocad 2011.
justchil

Postby justchil » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Either Autocad 2009 or reinstalling Carlson 2011 fixed the problem. However one of the secondary problems still exists.

The "Calculate Storage or Elevation Points" area does not work. Nothing is calculated that we can see and the engineer is having to do this manually.

Not a huge deal but for the $$$ this software costs... it should work :)
justchil

Return to Hydrology