Alignments (.mxs) in .SCT files

Moderator: Carlson Support

Alignments (.mxs) in .SCT files

Postby Mike L » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:49 pm

I am currently working on a roadway project that is multiple miles long through undulating terrain (500' relief in some areas). The design is complete and the files given to us were: 2d polylines and surfaces completed in Civil 3D. We plan to drape the 2d polylines over the surface, to create 3d polylines. We are a Carlson outfitted firm, with versions of C3D throughout, but everything will be staked using SurvCE 3.0 software. We recently obtained Carlson Civil suite, so it is a minor learning curve. I have went through all the tutorials for creating and editing .sct and .mxs files so this is somewhat uderstood. There is a little background to help anyone out with the following-

My question is:

When creating a section file (.sct), how can the user set the parameters to create sections at all areas where 3d polylines (rt or lt of centerline) have horizontal or vertical changes?

For example, you have your road centerline file. You use this as your section alignment (.mxs). You choose to create sections by "screen entities" (3d polylines), which will be lip, fl, tc, hinge pt, several terrace drains, then a constant slope to tie pt. All of these 3d polylines are going to have vertical and horizontal changes not coincident with the road centerline in most instances.

Please, any tips or lectures will be greatly appreciated!

-Mike L
Mike L

Re: Alignments (.mxs) in .SCT files

Postby Gibbo » Mon May 26, 2014 6:06 am

It's complicated.
Andy Gibson
Brisbane, Australia
Gibbo

Return to Civil