Still frustrated after 1yr.

Moderator: Carlson Support

Still frustrated after 1yr.

Postby cburns0088 » Fri May 08, 2015 6:09 pm

I know this may come off as a rant but I am sincerely besides my self with the difficulties I never experienced in any other Civil software.
I started using Carlson Civil 2015/Autocad 2015 last year. I have used Autodesk products for 25yrs. I have used Softdesk, LDD, Civil3D, Inroads, Geopak, Terrimodel and now carlson. For the life of me cant figure out why these things are happening. I dont know if its a setting, a glitch or this is a limitation of carlson.

Things like:
1-it never retaining file paths for settings,
2-having to dialog box my self to death everytime I cut or update a profile, alignment, tin, - really? none of these settings can be associated with the profile,centerline, or tin I just created, I have to reselect this everytime?
3-giving incorrect (actually repeating) elevations on vertical curve labels (Ive only noticed on VC labels could be elsewhere,
4-drawing a sampled tin profile halfway the first time and then the entire way the second time,
5-regular autocad functions Ive used for 20yrs without issue now stop working after using once and produce error (have to restart cad to get them to work again),
6-cannot work with annotative text, well no concept of annotative scaling at all really - text settings are like those of softdesk from 1998
7-changes display resolution for arc and poly line curves no matter how many times I change them in options/profile
8-creates 3d lines on template layer when trying to edit triangulation & and they remain when done editing,
9-have to zoom in and out to get command prompt to update when doing simple things like distance command,
10-distance command is almost useless as I cant see where I started from until I zoom - and then its usually far away from where I actually clicked,
11-commands cancel when re-selecting a snap (as in, ooops I need midpoint not endpoint - selecting from middle button snap menu)
12-joining polylines is a constant gamble - sometimes autocad join works sometimes carlson join works, sometimes you have to edit the pline and use join - both 2d and 3d
13-cant seem to find a way to stop it from making its layers current - I dont need triangulation layer current to edit a surface
14-editing surface - add breakline almost never works, deleting triangles is absurdly backwords in work flow (why cant I just select lines like every other DTM software on the market) So if I accidently delete a triangle - I have to start over b/c I cant add the breakline back.
15-cant find a way to make it stop changing the LTS when evoking a annotation command
16-using a 3d poly to trim often locks Acad

If anyone has insight to any of the above, it would be appreciated.

thanks (and sorry but Im at my wits end)
cburns0088

Re: Still frustrated after 1yr.

Postby Dent Cermak » Wed May 13, 2015 12:51 am

Many of your listed problems can be solved by checking the box under settings - Carlson Configure, that says something like Create an .ini file for each drawing. That will help save your settins from session to session.
Deleting triangles in a tin is very straight forward, but is NOT done the way you did it in LDD. Pat close attention to the prompts on the command line. On my computer I can co back and add breaklines as long as I have the 3D points in my drawing.
Remember, Carlson added on top of AutoCAD is basically only a menu program like Softdesk was. AutoCAD still runs the show, so many of your problems may be in your load of AutoCAD.
Either way, it sounds like you have some corrupted software, either Carlson, AutoCAD or both. First thing to do is go to the Carlson site and down load the latest build of your Carlson software. You have to delete the current Carlson download off your computer first. Sounds scary, but it will harm nothing. Run the new .exe file and try the new set-up. (NONE of your custom or5 data files will be harmed by doing this. Usually the new software will read your license number and add the new software with no problems at all.)
I actually suspect that the problem is with the AutoCAD you are running. I(f you have the disks, I think you can still load them up and select the "fix problems" option.
If none of that fixes the problem, the next thing to do is have your computer checked out. You may be experiencing a mother board problem. Been there, done that and the T-shirt cost me a boat load of cash!!
Either way, get astride of the guy that sold you the software and make him fix your issues. They are supposed to know how or at least know the phone numbers to get the help you need. DO NOT let him blame it all on Carlson. There are way too many people out there using the same software without all these problems.
Dent Cermak

Postby Gibbo » Sat May 16, 2015 10:40 pm

Also, what versions are you running? Autocad and Carlson?
Andy Gibson
Brisbane, Australia
Gibbo

Postby cburns0088 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 pm

Dent,
thank you very much for the response - I apologize for the late response - I couldnt figure out how to subscribe to this thread (I have now).
I did do a complete reinstall of Autocad 2015 and Carlson 2015 but did not re-download carlson. It did solve some of the issues - like: distance, command prompt updating, commands canceling when re selecting snaps, are resolved.
I still loose a function after one use sometimes, like: line multi entity stretch - used it for over a decade - never an issue till using Carlson.
I was unaware of the Carlson Config - will look into that.
TIN - this is a proposed surface - so no point data base or 3d points from ASCII or point cloud - Ive searched and googled for creating 3d pts from tin, - no option under surface manager..... still cannot add breaklines back to surface

I am currently on build 150126 and have updates on - I cant verify on Carlsons website as I cant find 'build' versions, just release dates.
What is really sad is that I believe Carlson HAD a great opportunity to steal market share from C3D as everyone is sick of the cost, crashes and blown budgets for several yrs now. But, my experience has been very very disappointing.
cburns0088

Postby Gibbo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:05 am

When adding a breakline, try adding entity instead of breakline. I find it works well and treats it like a breakline. No 3D points are needed in either case though. When escaping the Amend TIN command you have the option to discard or save changes if you use the escape button when exiting.
Andy Gibson
Brisbane, Australia
Gibbo

Postby cburns0088 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Gibbo,
Thanks for responding. Adding an entity to the surface is fine, Ive done that. Im refering to surface edit, - in otherwords if I remove triangulation from my surface - I cant get it back without recreating the entire surface from my orig. ingredients.

thanks
cburns0088

Postby Gibbo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Yes, I agree, that is a frustrating omission, and it has caught me out from time to time. I think we'll see some changes coming with the program with the move towards even more dynamic content, including surfaces I hope. There is already plenty of dynamic content available, but this is one, I think it desperately needs, similar to the likes of Civil3D.
Andy Gibson
Brisbane, Australia
Gibbo

Return to Civil