The move points command only moves 1 point at a time...is their another
command to move multiple points.

Geoff
Geoffrey Leiter

Re: Move Points?

Postby Jason Bly » Fri May 09, 2003 1:25 am

What about using translate points? Though it doesn't give the option of
screen selecting the points, you can screen select Original point and
destination point of where you are moving.

Jason

"Geoffrey Leiter" <darc87@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:b9dp5m$5rl$1@update.carlsonsw.com...
The move points command only moves 1 point at a time...is their another
command to move multiple points.

Geoff

Jason Bly

Postby Montominco » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pm

This worked for me. Seems like the move command allows a drag and drop by object snap one point at a time. Most of the work I do is based on total station as GPS does not function accurately in mountainous, treed terrain - so I usually end up starting my surveys on an assumed line/coordinates and need to rotate and translate the points. These are then aligned to a platted or deeded line. So the point menus are often lacking - but points>adjust coordinates>rotate, then through the same menu use translate to the location then translate again vertically to bring my assumed elevations to match a topo map or local benchmark.
Montominco

Postby gskelhorn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Montominco wrote:I usually end up starting my surveys on an assumed line/coordinates and need to rotate and translate the points.

You might want to look at the CFUTRANSFORM command at Points | Adjust Coordinates | Coordinate Transformation in the menu. Choose Local Coordinates, Point Numbers and likely Overwrite Existing Coordinates. In the next dialog choose Align by Two Pairs of Points... You can do the translation and rotation in a single step. Likely want to ensure the Scale Points option is not enabled. This allows you to to the translation and rotate in a single step.

trans_rot.png

If you don't already use Point Groups check that out. The Point Group feature is absolutely wonderful and very flexible.
  • You can create point groups by selecting points graphically from the screen or CRD file.
  • There are many options for point selection.
  • You can filter the selected set by point description.
  • You can use the Exclude tab to quickly define points to exclude from the group that were matched by the Include conditions.
  • Many Carlson commands have an obvious option to select the point group to operate on (like the coordinate transformation).
  • Many other Carlson commands that do not obviously offer point group selection will pop up a point group selection dialog when you enter "group" when prompted to enter points... i.e. LABCOOR command.

Another tip is when you want to select points graphically you can enter WP (for window polygon) to define an irregular selection window. CP is for a crossing polygon which I find useful in may other situations.

Also you may find the DEED_ALIGN (menu Survey | Deed Tools | Deed Correlation) command a helpful way of looking at your observed points vs documentary defined points.
deed_align.png

deed_align_rpt.png

I work with point number ranges for different purposes. i.e. field = 1-4999, calc = 5000-5999, ref docs (plans & deeds) 7000-7999, my opinion of defined corner = 8000-8999. This makes it easy to work with points.

I also have a point group defined for each observed point set imported so I can plot, delete, manipulate the group easily.

Just some ideas...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gskelhorn

Return to Survey